Pronoun "Selection"

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Pronoun "Selection"

Postby CookieMan56 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:04 pm

Maybe you could add another selection screen to profile , and be able to pick pronouns to appear next to your name in game. Some examples would be (he/him), (she/her), (they/them), and (xe/xem). You wouldn't have to select, and I believe most people would be nice about it. Some people who play the game are probably nonbinary/trans(including me), and it sometimes gets disappointing when people call me a he , so I feel it would be a benefit to those people.
CookieMan56

Re: Pronoun "Selection"

Postby Flavorable » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:56 am

In the game, you pick a character and roleplay as that character and thus get the gender pronoun assigned for that character.

While I understand that pronouns are very important for some people, I also feel people should keep in mind that the game is not a real life experience, and the pronouns are generally just based on either the character, or sometimes people fall back on what their personal taught "default" is.

The main issues I see with this is, first off, there's too many pronouns that people want, you named a couple, but there are sooo many more that people use, where do we stop?
Second issue I also see, is that it will insanely clutter the screen. (#. Playername (pronouns)). That's half a sentence gone.
Third issue I see: Even moreso than already (and this is moreso of a personal note), this would cause even more non-game related discussions ingame. Which might open a can of worms to a plethora of even more harassment, e.t.c.
Not to mention, and I hate saying this: People are gonna ignore it anyway. Maybe not everyone, but some people will. They'll either don't care about your personal preference (which, as stupid as it may seem, is allowed, especially on the internet, not everyone cares), or they'll be so into the game they will resort to default.

So while I do get the cause, I don't think it's something that needs to be implemented, especially not in the suggested manner.

I could see a suggestion about a gender neutral character/skin to pick ingame, possibly working in the future though.
No reply to your support ticket after 15 business days? PM me with your ticket number.

You may PM me for clarifications on appeal verdicts, but keep in mind the verdict will not change.

Do you have 151+ games played and want to help rid the community of toxic players and gamethrowers? Join the Trial System today: https://www.blankmediagames.com/Trial/#start

Also, check out the Trial System Discord Server: https://discord.gg/K5SnyJS
Flavorable
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Descender » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:11 am

one of the reasons i dont play tos as much anymore is that some characters which probably don't need to be gendered are gendered and that random skins cant disclude single skins

just make they/them the norm
Possibly known as TodaysStory
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby Stiersquid » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:44 am

Seems pointless everyone will call everyone a he anyway.
Gladiators! Are you ready for the opportunity of a lifetime? Fight in a battle that will go down in history. Eight challengers enter and one leaves with a prize no man could imagine. Are you ready to rumble?!
https://discord.gg/UNf4QJuA
Stiersquid
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby kyuss420 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:56 pm

does gender even exist on the internet?
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Stiersquid » Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:36 am

kyuss420 wrote:does gender even exist on the internet?
Gladiators! Are you ready for the opportunity of a lifetime? Fight in a battle that will go down in history. Eight challengers enter and one leaves with a prize no man could imagine. Are you ready to rumble?!
https://discord.gg/UNf4QJuA
Stiersquid
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby Soulshade55r » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:13 am

Descender wrote:one of the reasons i dont play tos as much anymore is that some characters which probably don't need to be gendered are gendered and that random skins cant disclude single skins

just make they/them the norm

Dunno why it needs to even mention gender personally.
Couldn't be that hard to just slightly edit some words to make everything gender neutral.
Favourite Roles (To play)
Spoiler: Town: Jailor
Mafia: Consort
NE: Witch
NB: Guardian Angel
Coven: Necromancer
NC: Pirate
Soulshade55r
Blackmailer
Blackmailer

Postby EqsyLootz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:51 pm

Nope.
Today is the first day I changed my signature after 2 full years. Unfortunately I have no idea what to write here.
General Salem Community Accomplishments.
~~Master Elo Ranked Player: 2.1k Elo~~
I'm also a damn Sunflower, Deal with it.
EqsyLootz
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby SatouKai » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:26 pm

I somewhat agree. Pronouns during matches appear to be based on the avatar one uses during a match. However, some people might want to use the Potion Master avatar and feel uncomfortable being referred to with she/her pronouns. It would be ideal to not refer to gender in-game, though, because some people would want to remain fully anonymous and the pronouns one uses may be utilized for metagaming and/or trolling purposes.
~共秋(Gongqiu)/Dexter [SatouKai on ToS]
SatouKai
Executioner
Executioner

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:21 am

SatouKai wrote:I somewhat agree. Pronouns during matches appear to be based on the avatar one uses during a match. However, some people might want to use the Potion Master avatar and feel uncomfortable being referred to with she/her pronouns. It would be ideal to not refer to gender in-game, though, because some people would want to remain fully anonymous and the pronouns one uses may be utilized for metagaming and/or trolling purposes.

Its kind of a roleplaying thing

If you play an rpg and your character is a woman, you will be called a she

Anyway just saying "they" should be enough to avoid people from complaining
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby SatouKai » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:47 pm

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
SatouKai wrote:I somewhat agree. Pronouns during matches appear to be based on the avatar one uses during a match. However, some people might want to use the Potion Master avatar and feel uncomfortable being referred to with she/her pronouns. It would be ideal to not refer to gender in-game, though, because some people would want to remain fully anonymous and the pronouns one uses may be utilized for metagaming and/or trolling purposes.

That's fair, but for most people ToS is less so character roleplay and more so, well, role roleplay. Like, your skin being the Mafioso or Potion Master doesn't affect your strategies/claims/etc. But back on topic, I agree with having the neutral singular "they" set for game messages.
SatouKai
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Descender » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:08 am

EqsyLootz wrote:

Nope.

what

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:

what
nearly everyone calls everyone he in tos
up until i switched to using random (which is annoying because they still haven't allowed players to random between set skins) i used girl skin
and a girls name
it did not stop anyone from calling me he which is an issue ive only had here
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby syjfwbaobfwl » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:07 pm

Descender wrote:
EqsyLootz wrote:

Nope.

what

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:

what
up until i switched to using random (which is annoying because they still haven't allowed players to random between set skins) i used girl skin
and a girls name

I dont know what games you play, in almost every online game 90% of people will call others "he"
syjfwbaobfwl
Jailor
Jailor

Postby Descender » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:32 am

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
Descender wrote:
EqsyLootz wrote:

Nope.

what

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:

what
and a girls name

I dont know what games you play, in almost every online game 90% of people will call others "he"

i used to play anarchy minecraft and ive been asked my pronouns or just been refered to as they SO much more
fucking anarchy minecraft
TG Frequenter and Host
she/her
Descender
Role Ideas Moderator
Role Ideas Moderator

Postby SatouKai » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:26 pm

Descender wrote:
syjfwbaobfwl wrote:
Descender wrote:
EqsyLootz wrote:

Nope.

what

syjfwbaobfwl wrote:

what
and a girls name

i used to play anarchy minecraft and ive been asked my pronouns or just been refered to as they SO much more
fucking anarchy minecraft

well that IS anarchy minecraft, lol. in my experience, in most online games (tos ESPECIALLY included) people often default to using he/him for other players.
SatouKai
Executioner
Executioner

Postby Crona111 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 pm

IMO it's not something that's really needed nor does it impact the game at all.

Beyond the issue of too many pronouns to implement into the game, displaying each person's prefered pronouns does take up quite a bit of space and would take some time to implement, which could be used for their new game instead.

However, I do find that using "They/THem" by default for every skin to be a good way to solve the issue. It's less time and confusion, plus it removes all complaints
Damn I'm too lazy to add anything.

If you see "Purple Popcorn" in your game I love you.
Crona111
Witch
Witch

Postby kyuss420 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:46 am

Crona111 wrote:IMO it's not something that's really needed nor does it impact the game at all.

Beyond the issue of too many pronouns to implement into the game, displaying each person's prefered pronouns does take up quite a bit of space and would take some time to implement, which could be used for their new game instead.

However, I do find that using "They/THem" by default for every skin to be a good way to solve the issue. It's less time and confusion, plus it removes all complaints

Except calling someone with multiple personality disorder ''they'' or ''them'' could be seen as offensive
goosegoosegoosegoosegoose
Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image Spoiler: Image
kyuss420
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Postby Crona111 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:31 am

kyuss420 wrote:
Crona111 wrote:IMO it's not something that's really needed nor does it impact the game at all.

Except calling someone with multiple personality disorder ''they'' or ''them'' could be seen as offensive

They/Them is also plural. It would be referring to all "personalities" of someone with DID.
Damn I'm too lazy to add anything.

If you see "Purple Popcorn" in your game I love you.
Crona111
Witch
Witch

Postby Joacgroso » Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:25 pm

That's what he was calling offensive.
Joacgroso wrote:I feel like I went from Light Yagami to Keiichi Maebara.

I still hope one day the game will have private lobbies. They would really help.
Also, please nerf vampire hunters.
Joacgroso
Werewolf
Werewolf

Return to Suggestions