Elo Points

Leave your suggestions about the game here!

Elo Points

Postby hawk951 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:02 am

Losing -30 elo when you leave a game before dying is incredibly not enough so it should be 60.
hawk951

Re: Elo Points

Postby Brilliand » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:09 am

Why do you think 60 would be enough if 30 isn't?
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JaguarJumps » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:43 pm

Honestly I think this should be the penalty for leavers and that's about it. They lose a certain percentage of their elo. That sounds like a logical punishment for me that is not also needlessly cruel.
Booker T wrote:"Can you dig it? SUCKAAAAAA!!!!"

White Canary wrote:"Yeah? Well, even vigilantes have to pay their bills."

Citizen Steel wrote:"They beat him with the Care Bear Stare."

Moe Syzslak wrote:"They're heading for the old mill!""No we're not!""Let's head to the old mill anyway, get some cider.
JaguarJumps
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Brilliand » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:31 pm

JaguarJumps wrote:Honestly I think this should be the penalty for leavers and that's about it. They lose a certain percentage of their elo. That sounds like a logical punishment for me that is not also needlessly cruel.

Why a percentage instead of a fixed amount?

Also: there are leavers in other gamemodes besides Ranked. An ELO penalty won't mean anything to leavers outside of Ranked.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby JaguarJumps » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:16 am

Because not everyone has the same amount of ELO. Why should the penalty be the same?

Ranked should be the only mode that's actually taken seriously. Doing anything else is just ridiculous. If something must be done, it should be a lockout of some minutes for the player.
Booker T wrote:"Can you dig it? SUCKAAAAAA!!!!"

White Canary wrote:"Yeah? Well, even vigilantes have to pay their bills."

Citizen Steel wrote:"They beat him with the Care Bear Stare."

Moe Syzslak wrote:"They're heading for the old mill!""No we're not!""Let's head to the old mill anyway, get some cider.
JaguarJumps
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Brilliand » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:24 am

JaguarJumps wrote:Ranked should be the only mode that's actually taken seriously.

I vehemently object to this sentiment. All Any is my favorite mode, whereas I haven't played Ranked in ages.
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Postby SwampRabbit » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:16 am

I completely disagree.

Losing elo has not stop anyone from leaving the game if they want to deliberately leave. We all still see it. Mafia and NK disconnecting before n1. I have not seen a decrease in willful leavers since the elo loss was implemented. The people who are doing it care nothing about elo. So changing the amount they lose would still have zero impact.

I think the idea was a good one, but as we have seen, it is ineffective. The only people harmed by losing elo are those that get involuntarily disconnected--such as steam hiccups, internet blips. power outage, etc.--these people should not be penalized for something beyond their control and yet they are the only ones bothered by elo loss.

As far as I am concerned the elo loss is a complete failure to stop leavers, and a new idea is needed. But increasing the penalty against the only people who care--the ones who get dc'd involuntarily--is the way to make people stop playing the game completely--not the way to stop trash leavers.
SwampRabbit
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Brilliand » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:06 pm

SwampRabbit wrote:As far as I am concerned the elo loss is a complete failure to stop leavers, and a new idea is needed. But increasing the penalty against the only people who care--the ones who get dc'd involuntarily--is the way to make people stop playing the game completely--not the way to stop trash leavers.

This is a good reason to hold off on penalizing leavers further until reconnection is implemented. If it's possible to return to the same game to avoid all penalties, the people who care will take advantage of that constantly, whereas the people who were actively trying to leave will have no use for it.

I would also prefer that all penalties for leaving be both immediate and temporary in nature. Instead of "your internet was out for 4 hours, so you lose 60 ELO", it's "your internet was out for 4 hours, and your penalty was a 2-hour suspension, so you've already waited out your suspension by the time your internet comes back online". (Just an example, I'm not necessarily arguing for 2-hour suspensions in particular.)
Brilliand
Godfather
Godfather

Return to Suggestions