Patch 2.0 Original Town of Salem Changes

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

Re: Patch 2.0 Original Town of Salem Changes

Postby shapesifter13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:12 pm

@Anadre What role list changes are you talking about?
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby cheekyloser » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:13 pm

Are the servers up yet?? :?:
#saveyoonbum2k17

over and out
cheekyloser

Postby DopedSmurF » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:15 pm

Naru2008 wrote:There's no reason you should try every few seconds, especially when there is an announcement that says it's going to be down 1-2 hours. Hence why there's no box for the window.

Miasys wrote:Are the servers still down? How much longer will it be?

The servers are up, but set to staff-only at the moment. We're testing to make sure everything is running smoothly and correctly before going live.

I never said I was trying every few seconds. Were you referring to someone else?

My point is that the game could be back up in 1 hour, it might be back up in 2 hours, it might be shorter or longer than that. Should everyone be forced to completely close the game on every login attempt, or would it make sense to have an OK button so that the game could remain open until their next login attempt, whether that be every couple of minutes or once an hour? Additionally, isn't it possible to fully test the code prior to releasing to production? If that's possible, why isn't it being done?

I would think that after everything is tested and working, then the new code should be released? Wouldn't that be a better workflow than bringing your service completely down?

Thanks for your input.
DopedSmurF
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:15 pm

cheekyloser wrote:Are the servers up yet?? :?:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=68383#p2199753
Please contact BMG with any questions regarding your account issues;
support@blankmediagames.zendesk.com

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shapesifter13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:17 pm

We will be sure to post when the servers are back up. I think that adding a close button to that window would be a little QoL change for the future.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:18 pm

DopedSmurF wrote:
Naru2008 wrote:There's no reason you should try every few seconds, especially when there is an announcement that says it's going to be down 1-2 hours. Hence why there's no box for the window.

The servers are up, but set to staff-only at the moment. We're testing to make sure everything is running smoothly and correctly before going live.

I never said I was trying every few seconds. Were you referring to someone else?

My point is that the game could be back up in 1 hour, it might be back up in 2 hours, it might be shorter or longer than that. Should everyone be forced to completely close the game on every login attempt, or would it make sense to have an OK button so that the game could remain open until their next login attempt, whether that be every couple of minutes or once an hour? Additionally, isn't it possible to fully test the code prior to releasing to production? If that's possible, why isn't it being done?

I would think that after everything is tested and working, then the new code should be released? Wouldn't that be a better workflow than bringing your service completely down?

Thanks for your input.

It is possible, which is what the PTR is for. However, as with all other games, patches can go wrong for any to no reason, hence why we put it into Staff-Only mode to test and make sure everything is alright before we open the servers to everyone.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DopedSmurF » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:19 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:We will be sure to post when the servers are back up. I think that adding a close button to that window would be a little QoL change for the future.

Thank you. Also, is there a web page that people can go to see the status of ToS? I am imagining some dashboard that shows up, down, maintenance, etc. If not, I also think that would be a nice addition.

Thanks again for the reply.
DopedSmurF
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:20 pm

DopedSmurF wrote:
shapesifter13 wrote:We will be sure to post when the servers are back up. I think that adding a close button to that window would be a little QoL change for the future.

Thank you. Also, is there a web page that people can go to see the status of ToS? I am imagining some dashboard that shows up, down, maintenance, etc. If not, I also think that would be a nice addition.

Thanks again for the reply.

There isn't, I'm afraid. Only status updates are the ones when you login and we're down for maintenance.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby shapesifter13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:21 pm

We are back up!
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby DopedSmurF » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:23 pm

Naru2008 wrote:
DopedSmurF wrote:

Thanks for your input.

It is possible, which is what the PTR is for. However, as with all other games, patches can go wrong for any to no reason, hence why we put it into Staff-Only mode to test and make sure everything is alright before we open the servers to everyone.

Thanks. You're right, there are a lot of reasons a release could fail. There should be an automated test for each of those situations right? Are we doing unit tests, integration tests, functional tests, etc.?

I am not trying to be a jerk to you guys or anything. I just really love playing your game and think it would be a better user experience if ToS never went down.

Thanks again. I played some games in the PTR earlier this week and I am really excited to go play now, since the servers are back up. Nice job on all the updates!
DopedSmurF
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Postby hellboyzon » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:24 pm

When is the game available? Its been under mainteinence for like 3 hours... :/
Can anyone please reply?
hellboyzon

Postby SpellChecker » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:28 pm

hellboyzon wrote:When is the game available? Its been under mainteinence for like 3 hours... :/
Can anyone please reply?

Should be back up.

SpellChecker
Vampire
Vampire

Postby DopedSmurF » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:28 pm

hellboyzon wrote:When is the game available? Its been under mainteinence for like 3 hours... :/
Can anyone please reply?

it's up now. go try. i love the new skin updates!
DopedSmurF
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Postby anandre » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:30 pm

shapeshifter13, I'm fairly certain I saw a BMG person say on the ToS subreddit that there were role list changes being made, but there weren't any details given. I don't know all the BMG accounts to go through the posts, though. If I find it, I'll let you know. Getting really frustrated that none of you are addressing the role list, though.
anandre
Survivor
Survivor

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:34 pm

anandre wrote:shapeshifter13, I'm fairly certain I saw a BMG person say on the ToS subreddit that there were role list changes being made, but there weren't any details given. I don't know all the BMG accounts to go through the posts, though. If I find it, I'll let you know. Getting really frustrated that none of you are addressing the role list, though.

Only thing I remember is that Classic won't be touched, as stated for several versions now.

Only BMG staff on Reddit are Devs, and you can occasionally find myself posting, along with Shelboo, who is a Moderator for the subreddit.

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DopedSmurF » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:37 pm

Naru2008 wrote:
anandre wrote:shapeshifter13, I'm fairly certain I saw a BMG person say on the ToS subreddit that there were role list changes being made, but there weren't any details given. I don't know all the BMG accounts to go through the posts, though. If I find it, I'll let you know. Getting really frustrated that none of you are addressing the role list, though.

Only thing I remember is that Classic won't be touched, as stated for several versions now.

Only BMG staff on Reddit are Devs, and you can occasionally find myself posting, along with Shelboo, who is a Moderator for the subreddit.

Are you saying that the original post classic changes and bug fixes doesn't go into affect until after the expansion?

were you looking for the first post in this thread?
DopedSmurF
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Postby Belshy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:42 pm

shapesifter13 wrote:Vampires
Standardized Vampire attacks and conversions. Vampires now deal a basic attack to all targets. If the target can be converted to a Vampire and would die to the basic attack they will be converted. All forms of basic defense or higher (including temporary protection) will prevent conversion.

As in, vampires can no longer force Survivor votes? :angel: Do you hear the angels singing? This is something I complained about long ago, nice to see that someone is finally realizing that Vampires going through Survivor vests is terrible.

Also, is there going to be a change to the spy in the future? I can't find the post about Spy changes but I do remember a lot of people suggesting spy no longer be able to read mafia chat as a whole instead of mafia having a confirmed town-role. Spy can still see who is visited but not read mafia chat. Seems like a better fix than the current confirmation for mafia of a TI. Even if they can't see who is visited, which personally I don't suggest but wouldn't mind as long as mafia just doesn't get confirmation anymore. It makes sense that the informed minority be actually informed, but I don't think that giving them an insta-confirmed role was really the solution... more like a quick fix.

If someone wants to link the post on the Spy changes, I'd be happy to go there--just can't find it at the moment.

EDIT:
Since the Amnesiac change went live today, can anybody clarify what happens when two Amnesiacs try to remember the same unique role on the same night? Which one gets priority?
Since only one of each unique can be alive at a time, what happens in a situation as follows:
    N1: Mayor dies, N2: Amnesiac remembers Mayor, N3: Retributionist revives Mayor?
Don't worry about the nights just for an example given that I imagine if they were to be revived and an Amnesiac tried to remember on the same night it would just disallow the Amnesiac... and this has the opportunity of giving many lives to any important town roles which no other faction has, since Amnesiac can remember Retributionist again and again to revive Mayor, Jailor, or other useful roles?
Do Amnesiacs get the revive ability even after the inital Retributionist has revived someone? Is there a limit to how many Amnesiacs can remember each unique role per game?

So many questions...
Last edited by Belshy on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollr wrote:Also I lost -12 elo as surv so may I suggest you collectivly engage in intercourse with yourselves.

Spoiler:
Belshy
Witch
Witch

Postby LevinSnakesRise » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:42 pm

DopedSmurF wrote:
Naru2008 wrote:

Only BMG staff on Twitter are Devs, and you can occasionally find myself posting, along with Shelboo, who is a Moderator for the subreddit.

Are you saying that the original post classic changes and bug fixes doesn't go into affect until after the expansion?

No, role changes go into effect for every mode. Role LIST changes would be per each mode.

If the changes don't go through until the 6th, it'd be pointless to have took the server down for almost 2 hours today. (But yes, the updates did go through today. :))

Thanks.
LevinSnakesRise
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogeezalo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Oooh! I like the customizations! I don't know if to get the bunny or the potion master.
Ogeezalo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby WittyRecluse » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:16 pm

You didn't fix elo, you destroyed it.

Now high elo players can only get like +1/-14 every game which makes it literally impossible to go up in elo, whereas low elos will get +9/-1 making it impossible to go down. I've heard reports from the last game I played of all the winners getting +0 for a win.

Fix Elo by changing it back to the old system, it wasn't perfect, but it's far better then this horrible "fix"
WittyRecluse
Vigilante
Vigilante

Postby anandre » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:17 pm

I just got +5 for a town win, then -5 for a 3 mafia loss with any town. 3200+ elo here, still screwy.
anandre
Survivor
Survivor

Postby Ogeezalo » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:20 pm

WittyRecluse wrote:You didn't fix elo, you destroyed it.

Now high elo players can only get like +1/-14 every game which makes it literally impossible to go up in elo, whereas low elos will get +9/-1 making it impossible to go down. I've heard reports from the last game I played of all the winners getting +0 for a win.

Fix Elo by changing it back to the old system, it wasn't perfect, but it's far better then this horrible "fix"

I kinda like that it's easier to get back into regular ELO, but I agree with your statement for higher ELO players, keep the changes in ELO balanced, or close to.
Ogeezalo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MamisLostHead » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:29 pm

With the self-targeting changes, would this mean that a Survivor being witched will no longer force it to vest?
Fellow ranked player. My usual name is Youkai. I'm currently around the 1350-1400 elo range. Not a big fan of scum roles, but I still try my best playing them. Fairly average player, but I still look for new ways to improve my strategies!
MamisLostHead
Spy
Spy

Postby shapesifter13 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:30 pm

@Witty This is how Elo should work. Because of queue times and the number of ranked players you tend to play with people below your Elo. You should lose more and gain less.

@MamisLostHead You can't make a Survivor use a vest anymore.
shapesifter13
Developer
Developer

Postby anandre » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:46 pm

shape, you wanna defend how losing 5 elo as a 3-man mafia is ok, when you'll then get +1 for a 4-man mafia? Mafia win rate in ranked is <20% and is a guaranteed elo sink like that.

Edit: this goes for NK and NE too - I've been Jester and lost 6 elo for a 33% win rate role. Tell me how something like that is fair.

Edit edit: my point is that you shouldn't have a guaranteed elo sink, like any of the non-town, non-NB roles currently are. Even if you lose 1 for every game lost as mafia/NK/NE, you're still guaranteed a net loss overall, and that's absolute bull. It makes the game not fun and leads to a lot of people quitting d1 or whatever as evil because a) there's little to no point in playing a role with such low win rates and b) why waste time to play the game when you're going to lose elo anyway, most likely?
Last edited by anandre on Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anandre
Survivor
Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements