The NEW Refer-A-Friend System

Announcements made here about the game and the company.

The NEW Refer-A-Friend System

Postby Achilles » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Hello Townies,

With patch 1.2.0 comes the new (and improved) Refer-A-Friend System.

Why was Refer-A-Friend changed?
The old RAF system seems to only greatly benefit the YouTubers and Twitch streamers (Our top 10 accounts with the most friends referred are Markiplier, ChilledChaos, Minx etc...). We want to introduce a system where our average users can obtain the highest tier rewards by inviting a few of their friends to play Town of Salem!

The NEW RAF Rewards
1 Friend Referred = 100 Town Points
2 Friends Referred = 100 Town Points + Lobby Icon
3 Friends Referred = 100 Town Points + Fish Pet

4 Friends Referred = 100 Town Points
5 Friends Referred = 100 Town Points + Grim Reaper Character

How To Refer-A-Friend
When creating an account on the forums, Steam or Facebook there is an optional input field to specify a friend to refer. Simply put their username in the box. For Steam users, the friend referred will immediately receive their RAF rewards. For browser users it will require your referred friends, NOT yourself to purchase any amount of Town Points from the shop or purchasing cash only items like the "Boat Load Of Swag" bundle, or the Steam version.

Why the in-app purchase requirement for RAF validation?
The old Refer-A-Friend system would require users to play at least 10 games before the RAF reward would be given. This was to help prevent users from making multiple accounts and referring themselves. With the new reward system being much more enticing we struggled to come up with a solution to prevent users from making alternate accounts and AFKing or Botting through games only to cheat the RAF system. We do not want the RAF system to impact the quality of games by motivating that kind of behavior. With the requirement of being a Steam user or making an in-app purchase there is no longer a motivation for users to make alternate accounts or AFK through games to collect RAF rewards.

All users with successfully referred friends will be auto granted the items on patch day.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Re: The NEW Refer-A-Friend System

Postby Arckas » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Will people get the same rewards as before for the forum?

Like the flairs-
(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Arckas
Vampire
Vampire

Postby isrlygood » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:50 pm

That lobby Icon looks so good! too bad I don't have any friends that would play town of salem...let alone spend money on it...
Thanks Hurricat!!!^
Thanks purple^ :p
Testing a Mafia Lookout this week
Spoiler:
isrlygood
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby Neasans » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm

isrlygood wrote:That lobby Icon looks so good! too bad I don't have any friends that would play town of salem...let alone spend money on it...

^Pretty much this, honestly. I don't know if they'd spend money on it, but they all joined before this existed, so.
Lmao my old sig was so angry I can't even

Time really is...something
Neasans
Philanthropist
Philanthropist

Location: Wondering what the heck my teenage self was thinking in here

Postby PrometheanSigma » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:54 pm

If we've already referred people, we get the rewards, correct? I believe I've referred 3 already :)
25 wins with: ALL TOWN, MAFIOSO/GODFATHER, AMNESIAC, JESTER, SURVIVOR
PrometheanSigma
Retributionist
Retributionist

Postby MasterJdude » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Blankmediagames should put these items on the shop too. That way anybody can get them.
MasterJdude
Jester
Jester

Postby Gobln » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:29 pm

Burritodude wrote:Blankmediagames should put these items on the shop too. That way anybody can get them.

no i think thats the whole point, they're exclusive to people who refer.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby isrlygood » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:30 pm

Burritodude wrote:Blankmediagames should put these items on the shop too. That way anybody can get them.

dude, the whole point of this is to reward people that got more people in the game....not just any player..
Thanks Hurricat!!!^
Thanks purple^ :p
Testing a Mafia Lookout this week
Spoiler:
isrlygood
Mafioso
Mafioso

Postby iggyvolz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:32 pm

I wonder if it's possible to go around this by having 5 smurfs log in with the same Steam ID... you may want to tie it to ID's as well as usernames.
Greatest failures/shitshows:
iggyvolz
Werewolf
Werewolf

Postby Achilles » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:55 pm

iggyvolz wrote:I wonder if it's possible to go around this by having 5 smurfs log in with the same Steam ID... you may want to tie it to ID's as well as usernames.

The RAF reward is only given upon Steam account creation or linking Steam to an existing account (the same way of getting the 1300 town points). You can only create or link 1 steam account since it uses your unique steam ID. Luckily we already solved this problem because of the 1300 town point grant :)
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Gobln » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:39 pm

Im about to get that fucking Fish pet day 1, so tight. Hopefully the randomization system comes soon, i cant pick between Pumpkin, Fish and Reindeer.
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby PurpleSidewalk1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:50 pm

I know I am necroing this thread, but I referred 3 people before I got a forums account... :(
Elastoid vs chittownmvp01 is TvS.
PurpleSidewalk1
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby Flamingkamikaze » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:51 pm

PurpleSidewalk1 wrote:I know I am necroing this thread, but I referred 3 people before I got a forums account... :(

It's been inactive for an hour. How are you necroing?

What have I got?
Why am I alive anyway?
What have I got
That nobody can take away?

Flamingkamikaze
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby ParaYumi » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:53 pm

How do you know how many people you refered?
ParaYumi
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Flamingkamikaze » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Uhmmm wrote:Honestly though, YouTubers are still going to be the only ones who have referred friends who will spend money on the game. Most of my friends, and probably most friends in general, aren't going to just buy a game on steam instantly if they can just play through the browser for free. I understand that you give them aesthetic rewards for purchasing Town Points and Steam, but that's really not the point of the Refer a Friend system. The point is to refer a friend to the game in order to increase your number of players because the more number of players, the more ad revenue from the login screen and the more likely they will, at a later time, purchase Town Points or the Steam version.

If your only concern with making accounts with 10 games get credit is the fact that fake accounts can be used and a bot can be used, increase the game number to 50 like it is in ranked. It gives people incentive to keep playing and it increases the value of the account, making people less likely to break the rules in the future.

If you guys have already thought of that and have a counter, by all means let me know what the flaw in my logic is. I mean it is your game anyways ;)

I think what they are worried about is people not actually playing the game to get the rewards. Just afking through the required games.

What have I got?
Why am I alive anyway?
What have I got
That nobody can take away?

Flamingkamikaze
Arsonist
Arsonist

Postby PurpleSidewalk1 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:20 pm

Flamingkamikaze wrote:
PurpleSidewalk1 wrote:I know I am necroing this thread, but I referred 3 people before I got a forums account... :(

It's been inactive for an hour. How are you necroing?

:lol: Didn't read any times I just assumed since I thought they were talking about the last patch! LMFAO and I know because I got 3 of my friends to play ToS with me once and I told them to put my username as the person who referred them.
PurpleSidewalk1
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Postby Achilles » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:46 pm

Uhmmm wrote:Honestly though, YouTubers are still going to be the only ones who have referred friends who will spend money on the game. Most of my friends, and probably most friends in general, aren't going to just buy a game on steam instantly if they can just play through the browser for free. I understand that you give them aesthetic rewards for purchasing Town Points and Steam, but that's really not the point of the Refer a Friend system. The point is to refer a friend to the game in order to increase your number of players because the more number of players, the more ad revenue from the login screen and the more likely they will, at a later time, purchase Town Points or the Steam version.

If your only concern with making accounts with 10 games get credit is the fact that fake accounts can be used and a bot can be used, increase the game number to 50 like it is in ranked. It gives people incentive to keep playing and it increases the value of the account, making people less likely to break the rules in the future.

Also, aren't bots against your Terms of Service? I vaguely remember that they are. Also I haven't seen a single Town of Salem bot on the web and only a very, very, very select few people would have the skill, time, and effort to put into making a bot just to cheat your system. It just doesn't seem worth it to require an in-app purchase.

If you aren't sure your friends will buy steam or in-app purchases then invite more than 5 =)

Increasing the count to 50 instead of 10 just makes the potential for AFKing or bots worse. That doesn't solve the problem. Also you don't have to make a bot to AFK through games.

3 days ago I banned 15 accounts that had 1500+ games played. Someone made a bot that would create parties and play with 14 other accounts to farm town points. It was never reported because they were in their own games. So yes, there are bots and if you give people more incentive to bot there will be even more.
Achilles
Developer
Developer

Postby Ambermese » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:23 am

I dislike this because it stops people like me who have no-one to refer to the game from getting a cool character

Currently I own everything there is to own .. now I feel like im being penalised for not having any online friends who like this game

way to go at annoying loyal customers :(
Ambermese
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby sirshitshimself » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:12 am

Ambermese wrote:I dislike this because it stops people like me who have no-one to refer to the game from getting a cool character

Currently I own everything there is to own .. now I feel like im being penalised for not having any online friends who like this game

Why do you even need to own everything? If you refuse to tell your friends/family/whatever about the game then why should you get these?

And guys I'm pretty sure your friends don't have to buy anything. They just have to make a purchase. So if they just play enough to get enough coins to buy something, it counts. That doesn't take that long.
sirshitshimself
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Hurricat » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:24 am

sirshitshimself wrote:
Ambermese wrote:I dislike this because it stops people like me who have no-one to refer to the game from getting a cool character

Why do you even need to own everything? If you refuse to tell your friends/family/whatever about the game then why should you get these?

And guys I'm pretty sure your friends don't have to buy anything. They just have to make a purchase. So if they just play enough to get enough coins to buy something, it counts. That doesn't take that long.

I believe in-app purchase refers to purchasing something in the game that requires real $$$ money rather than Town Points (i.e. buying Town Points themselves).

Honestly, I don't really have that many friends to begin with, let alone ones who would be willing to immediately spend money on a game they were just referred to. I'm a little iffy on the concept, but I understand it's just to generate more income which is completely valid. The rewards look nice, but they're really not essential for gameplay at all, so it really doesn't matter much to me in the end.
Hurricat
Halloween 2015 Winner
Halloween 2015 Winner

Postby sirshitshimself » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:15 am

Hurricat wrote:
sirshitshimself wrote:

I believe in-app purchase refers to purchasing something in the game that requires real $$$ money rather than Town Points (i.e. buying Town Points themselves).

Honestly, I don't really have that many friends to begin with, let alone ones who would be willing to immediately spend money on a game they were just referred to. I'm a little iffy on the concept, but I understand it's just to generate more income which is completely valid. The rewards look nice, but they're really not essential for gameplay at all, so it really doesn't matter much to me in the end.

I don't think there's anything, other than town coins themselves, that can't be purchased with town coins.

And encouraging people to try and get their friends to play is a good thing since it means the community grows.
sirshitshimself
Doctor
Doctor

Postby Madonna » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:14 pm

how do you refer a friend thru facebook if you're on the browser (with a sign-in account)
Madonna
Sheriff
Sheriff

Postby MetalFrog » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:18 pm

It would be nice if we could purchase those items, even with real-world currency. My friends aren't interested in this game, so getting five people to put me down as a referrer seems highly unlikely.

Sucks that I'm locked out of content because I don't have people interested in spending money on the game.
MetalFrog
Benefactor
Benefactor

Postby Gobln » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:20 pm

MetalFrog wrote:It would be nice if we could purchase those items, even with real-world currency. My friends aren't interested in this game, so getting five people to put me down as a referrer seems highly unlikely.

Sucks that I'm locked out of content because I don't have people interested in spending money on the game.

You can, just make multiple alternate accounts and purchase it. ;)
Gobln
Vampire Hunter
Vampire Hunter

Postby PurpleSidewalk1 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:14 pm

Gobln wrote:
MetalFrog wrote:It would be nice if we could purchase those items, even with real-world currency. My friends aren't interested in this game, so getting five people to put me down as a referrer seems highly unlikely.

You can, just make multiple alternate accounts and purchase it. ;)

REPORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kappa
PurpleSidewalk1
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner
[Forum Mafia XII] Winner

Next

Return to Announcements